Corporate, Commercial and Real Estate
Our in depth knowledge of the Saudi Arabian laws and comprehensive legal and practical experience enables us to provide quality strategically and commercially focused advice, and offer reliable and effective solutions to our clients.
We offer our clients a wealth of experience and expertise in dealing with complex corporate and commercial matters, including
- Advising on matter relating to foreign direct investment and joint ventures;
- Advising on all matter relating to completion law and intellectual property including licensing and franchising arrangements, copyright and trademark protection
- Handling all the legal and administrative aspects associated with the company formation and corporate governance on behalf of foreign clients
- Advising multinational corporations on all aspects of investment in broad range of sectors including real estate, energy and manufacturing .
- Extensive knowledge of all aspects of privatization process, whether by strategic sale, joint venture, IPO or concession award
- Advised all types of participants in the privatization process, including financial institutions, governments, enterprises which are being privatized
- Comprehensive previous experience enables us to foresee potential issues and purpose solutions to ensure the transaction completes in timely manner.
- We advised a consortium leaded by AlNahla Group of Companies with MTN South Africa in connection with the bidding for the third mobile license issued by the CITC for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia;
- We advised (together with other international firms) the Communication and Information Technology Commission (“CITC”) in connection with the issuance of the second Saudi Arabian Mobile license (The first Saudi Arabian privatization/deregulation where competition to the incumbent service provider will be allowed through a public joint stock company);
- We advised a consortium led by Ramat International Technologies including MCI International Services, Inc. in connection with the bidding for the second fixed license issued by the CITC for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia;
- We acted as counsel to the issue in the initial public offering of 20% of the share capital of the first Saudi Arabian private sector telecommunications operator, the Etisalat Consortium. This was the first IPO under the new Capital Market Regulation at a value of US$13.6 billion.
- We acted as counsel to the issue in the initial public offering of 50% of the share capital of the second private sector telecommunications operator. This was the largest IPO under the new Capital Market Regulations.
- We advised Siraj Capital in connection with acquiring shares of Tafaseel Co. (Lomar thobes and accessories). Our role was to draft the shareholders agreement and the sale share and purchase agreement in addition to other issues related to the transaction.
- We advised in connection with the establishment of Hail Economic City, including the proposed offering of its shares through an initial public offering worth US$600 million.
- We advised a Saudi Arabian pharmaceutical and health care company in connection with an exempt offer of its shares under the Capital Market Regulation.
We also have:
Our major transactions in these areas are:
Real Estate Transactions
We have dedicated team of real estate and construction specialists who acted for investors and developers throughout Saudi Arabia and internationally. We have an in-depth knowledge of the local real estate and construction market and our team has the resources to deal with all real estate issues, ownership disputes and endowments.
We offer extensive experience in all aspects of construction projects including drafting and negotiating construction and engineering agreement, adopting all forms of FIDIC contracts, in particular the Red Book (conditions of contracts for works of civil engineering construction (1987 and 1999 edition), Silver Book (conditions of contract for EPC/Turnkey projects, 1999 edition), Yellow Book ( conditions of contract for plant and design-build 1999 edition) and the White Book (client consultant model series agreement, 1998 edition)
Selected real estate experience includes:
- We advised our clients on major real estate projects such as Red Sea Mall, Al Mousa Development and Jeddah Development Holding Company;
- We advised Kinan International Real Estate Development Co. in connection with the Asfan project. Our role in this project included drafting the shareholders’ agreement, developing the management agreement and providing a legal opinion on the proposed legal structure.
- We advised in number of hotel management agreements including Elaf hotels with Novotel (Accor Group), AlBustan hotel with Mercuere, SBC hotel in Jeddah with Sheraton, Marwa hotel with Sofetel).
- We advised Saudi Economic Development Company (SEDCO) in the purchase of US$150 million real estate in Europe in line with Islamic financing principles.
- We advised SEDCO in connection with its acquisition of US$150 million portfolio of residential and commercial properties in the USA based on Islamic principles.
- We are advising Keppl Al Numu Ltd in connection with constructing a landmark residential building in Jeddah. The value of the project is estimated at 2 Billion Saudi Riyals.
- We are currently advising the Knowledge Economic City Developers Company, the developer of the Knowledge Economic City in Madinah, in connection with various legal matters including real estate matters.
- We are advising the Islamic Corporation for the Development of Private Sector (ICD) on the financing of a US$4.5 billion real estate development project…
- We are advising LEMBAGA TABUNG HAJI, a company owned by the Malaysian government, in a number of real estate transactions in Saudi Arabia.
- We advised City Center Development Company in privatization (PPP) project for the development of the historic Jeddah city with Jeddah Development and Urban Regeneration Company (Amanah Jeddah).
Communications & Information Technology
We provided comprehensive services relating to information technology and communications law to local and international clients and our major transactions in this area are:
- We advised (together with Goldman Sachs and Riyad Bank) the Saudi Arabian Telecommunications and Information Technology Regulator in connection with the issuance of the second Saudi Arabian GSM licence. This was the first Saudi Arabian privatisation/deregulation where competition to the incumbent service provider was allowed.
- We advised the first Saudi Arabian private sector telecommunications operator, the Etisalat Consortium, in connection with the financing of its licensing and setting up-costs, the biggest Islamic finance transaction ever.
- We advised a telecom consortium that has qualified as an eligible applicant for a fixed line license to be awarded by the Saudi Arabian telecoms regulator.
- We advised the US Exim Bank in connection with the proposed financing of an iDEN infrastructure to launch a Public Access Mobile Radio (PAMR) Network.
- We advised two bidders in connection with the issuance of the third Saudi Arabian GSM and 3G licenses carried out by the Communication and Information Technology Commission.